Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The typewriter sequence

For the passed week I've been working on this sequence and blocking in the timing (this clip has sound - so you can check out if it works).

I'm already seeing a few places where the timing should be a bit different (and one shot has no blinking in it!) . However, I have to remind myself that there will be music as well - so shots that seem too long now might feel more natural with music.

I have another dilemma about what to do next. The next line is "...to say that they(the Polish) have met another Jew that could be killed..". It might seem to be a kind of background remark, but I'm not sure if I should treat it that way. Most of what my grandmother and I talked about then, was really her experiences from the concentration camps. This is what makes this line so serious, and why I'm not sure how to approach it.

If I keep it really abstract (like I have it in the animatic now),that would be the safest way to go - and it could work out really well. However, it might seem like an understatement, or so unclear that it almost wouldn't mean anything.

On the other hand, if I try to explain this in a more graphic way (for example: use images associated with these events) then it would be 100% clear. But I may be seriously unqualified to animate this, and the last thing I want is for it to seem ridiculous in any way.

I think it would be best to find a way that has a little bit of both. I'll definitely have to think about this some more.

3 comments:

Yang said...

It's the first time I see ur blog...and I didn't read the words at all because the videos are just so spectacular and impressive!!!!
I see a mixed styles in your film and that's very interesting.
I really want to critique a bit but since I'm not taking ur class....so just from looking at this, I really have no suggestion to you because it's really good.

Sheila said...

Daniella-

The typewriter scene is my favorite so far. It defies expectations, and really communicates the moment well.

Regarding the next scene- I think your instincts of using a combination of abstract and literal images may be the best way to go. Don't shy away from trying to represent her memories. You have done your research and you are qualified to interpret her story.

:Debbie said...

OMG Daniela.

The typewriter is amazing. And, I love that the type font is hand-drawn.

And, yes! I echo what Sheila said. Trust your instincts.

-Deborah