Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Krakow Ghetto

I've done a bit of research for this next animation sequence.

My grandmother mentions the Krakow ghetto in her story, and I know that it is also where she and her family had to live for sometime (after it wasn't possible for them to hide). So, I think it would be appropriate to refer to that location and find out more about it for my film.

Here I found a photo of the ghetto from the same year the story takes place (1941).

Based on this I made this background and this bit of animation.




Here is the sequence (A few more painted frames are needed but for now this helps bring across the idea).




I will work some more on the holds (since the timing is a bit rough).
I think it's very useful for me to work in rough pencil tests mixed with rendered out painted animation. Working now with the gouache gives me a better idea of what I can do with it, an idea of how the sequence will look, and ideas for the next animation tests.

Also, some transitions (like in this clip) can't really be shown with a pencil - so I think it's not a bad idea to figure out how to do them now.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Danielle- great research! I think it is really important. Those who are familiar with the location will respond to it. Excellent work- the animation is beautiful!