Thursday, October 23, 2008

A reference to the Holocaust

Hi everyone,



This is the sequence which comes right after the previous typewriter scene. I'm so glad that you could connect with this in class (though I did have my doubts). To take Jake's advice, I'm going to leave it alone for now - and perhaps wait and see if this works in the context of the entire animatic. My biggest concern here is to avoid making an overly simplistic representation that would seem impersonal. I don't want to be spoon feeding this information either. That is the problem with using iconic images, I guess.



Before I started this, I did some more research. I searched an online photo archives to look at images of the trains. Also, I found that many Holocaust memorial monuments use the image of the hand in some way.



I also asked my grandmother how she would feel about images of trains. I mentioned that I thought it would be a bit harsh. She replied that "it's the truth, and it is harsh". She's absolutely right, but it's still not obvious to me that this sequence fits into my project.







It must seem weird to you that I'm being so critical about this, but there is a reason.



There are all sorts of ways people express their ideas about this history, and some of them, intentionally or not, seem disrespectful.



I happen to watch a CNN video report last year, which was about a German children's comic book that was made to explain the history of the Holocaust. Personally, I think this comic book is offensive. I find it's a cheap way to show kids what was happening. If you're interested, here is a link (just to warn you - this report has some documentary footage that is difficult to watch):



http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2008/02/21/pleitgen.germany.nazi.comic.cnn



I don't really think that I'm doing something that is similar to this (also, animation is different from comic books, of course). But I think it's also important to look at something which, to me, is just crossing the line. In any case, I'm just trying to be as respectful as possible.



Here is also a link to the film "Silence" (which we watched last year in Prof. Panushka's class). You can see how the trains were shown there. Watching it for the second time, I think it's extremely well done.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLqjK6UMIc

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Daniela-

I have mixed feelings about the "comic book" (or graphic novel.) I think it can be done well. Joe Sacco wrote some extraordinary non-fiction graphic novels, "Safe Area Gorazde" and "Palestine." I think that if they are factually correct and honest it is a great way to communicate non-fiction events, especially emotionally charged events. There is no way I can know if the comic book mentioned in the report is offensive without actually reading it. For all I know, it may be an honest portrayal. They mentioned it was not all historically factual, but they did not say what parts they were referring to.

Anyway, I think one reason it seemed offensive to you was the use of traditionally drawn characters- typically used in entertainment fiction. It may feel watered down to you. Your drawings are much more sensitive. The fact that you use your grandmother's actual voice gives it authenticity. It allows you to take liberties with the image. I hope you do not feel too saddled with this burden of making each image "respectful". You are not capable of doing anything else.

Daniela said...

Thank you - I'm glad it is coming across that way so far.

I totally agree that there are graphic novels that are successful in documenting emotionally charged events in a sensitive way. The only one I read was Persepolis and I thought it was fantastic (really honest and profound).

But I think the graphic novel I mentioned is not like that. I haven't read it either and I admit the report is kind of bias. However, from what I understand, it does look a bit superficial. It's not only the standard comic book characters, but also the inconsistency in what they are trying to show. I mean, on the one hand you could see that their depiction of the concentration camp "life" is extremely watered down (like the physical shape of prisoners for example). But on the other hand they do decide to show Nazi soldiers mixing gas (-?).
The way they normalize things, by using these sorts of half truths, is what bothers me.

I don't know, I could be seriously mistaken about this one, but to make everything look so "standard" feels wrong to me.

:Debbie said...

Hey Daniela,

I think your train sequence is very powerful and effective. It packs a lot of emotion. As a viewer, I can immediately connect to the use of trains because of its symbolic connection to the Holocaust. Because you have such an intimate connection with the story and you have conceptual reasons for using such symbols, you don't have to worry about being too obvious, or overly cliche or simplistic, etc.

Also, I was reading about "Hedgehog in the Fog" on Wikipedia. And, while of course, you are tackling very different subject matter, I found this statement relevant to what your grandmother said about truth being harsh.

""Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid."

-Deb

Sheila said...

Daniela- I think your comments are perceptive. The fact that you are aware of why the comic book seems gratuitous to you makes it clear that you will not make the same mistake. I have confidence you will treat the subject matter with the utmost respect. The audience will receive it that way.