Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The fur blanket and the transition to digital animation

Hello!



I wanted to post some new clips.



The first one is a part of the fur blanket animation (second attempt). It's not complete yet, but at least I found a better way to do it (I found out that pencil marks are visible in the lightbox even through gouache - so that made it easier to trace). I'll fix the white edges some of the frames have (I'll probably get to that next semester).










The next one is a longer another clip of the blanket sequence. Also at the end there's the transition to digital.



I'll try and move the last drawings a little to the right, to show that I meant for it to be half a face (and it isn't an aspect ratio mistake).



Also - when she says "but that was nice of her" (at the end of the clip) - I was planning on animating lip-sync just for that line. It could strengthen the idea that the story part is finished and we're back in present "reality", but do you think it is necessary? (or does it work well without it too? what do you think?)



By the way, there are two shots in pencil that are not so clear (because of the low quality of the clip). one is of her hand pulling the blanket. the other is of the package falling to the ground.








Now I need to think about the last shots and the ending. It's a challenge - I have some ideas but they still need to crystallize. Thanks so much for the suggestions made in class about this - that was helpful.

7 comments:

:Debbie said...

The 2nd clip looks great! I think the transition to digital works really well.

Also, I like your idea to lip-sync "but that was nice of her."
Go for it!

Sheila said...

This looks good! The fur blanket scene seems to be working with the dialogue. At times her dialogue seems a bit clipped. Do you have the original ambient track to edit in between sentences? (When she is not talking.)

I am still trying to understand why you want her to have only half of her face. What is the reason? Should it be in shadow instead?

Thanks.

Daniela said...

I do have the original ambient track - thank you for reminding me about that (!!!) - I've gotten so used to it sounding clipped that I just forgot...

I had a few reasons for making half a face:
1- Since it's not really an interview, I thought it could be more interesting this way.
2- It's not really a realistic portrayal - and I feel like if I draw the entire face I'll be obligated to show more resemblance to the real person (which would be difficult)
3- If I try to create a resemblance it feels a little bit like an invasion of privacy (maybe).
4- it matches up with the half face I got in the beginning (that turns into an eye+nose and then the memories - it's in "another clip" post from July)

But all of these reasons aren't really so important if you think it looks too odd (I'm not really trying to be odd). I made it this way because I thought it was an interesting composition, but now I'm not so sure.

If it's a problem, I'll have to remake the transition part to have an entire face.

Also - I appreciate you offering some of the extra live action footage you have (of people walking around). I'm trying out something for that sequence now, but if I get it wrong, I hope I can still ask for your clip later on!

thanks again.

:Debbie said...

I like the half face :)

Sheila said...

Daniela-

I'm still not sure if the half face is working. If it were in shadow it may feel more natural. However, you may want to run it by the faculty during your crit before you decide on any changes.

I forgot to extract the clip I promised. I'll try to do it during the weekend.

Anyway, no matter what you do the film is awesome!

Sheila said...

Daniela-

I edited the walking footage for you and uploaded it nto Facebook. I couldn't embed it on this blog. Can you view it here?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/video/video.php?v=40240851725

Caitling said...

Daniela!

I hope you are safe a well in this New Year. I just watched the new fur blanket except. It works beautifully in context, though my heart still lies with the first rendition you did of it. I really love the side face, and I really crave some peace at the end of the story after all the movement and tumult of the gouache frames. I think the digital serves this purpose well. The line quality is stable and peaceful and reverent. You are so talented!!! And I'm so thrilled to see how this all turns out!

See you soon-
Caitlin