Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Structure...


Hi again,

I wanted to post a few ideas about structure -


I think I'm going to use Prof. Sofian's idea to make the opening and ending sequences of my project using digital animation. I think it's a very good idea because it could really separate the story in the memory from the parts which are supposed to be "the present". It's also very cool conceptually ("new" animation technique shows the present...). What I'm gonna do is trace over my already scanned-in pencil tests in Photoshop and see how that looks.

Here I've made a few test (I think I'll use a darker blue maybe)-


Do you prefer one over the others?


A


Flat colors



B


you can barely tell - but this one has a little shadow in it.


C



this is the same only in black and white and blue (with shadows). It may be more stylized, but I think its also less vivid...




Also - I wanted to post the 2 issues people commented to me about in seminar.




1. What should be the opening question?

It could start with a general "tell me that story again", or maybe I could start with the question "do you think people by nature are good or bad?" (and repeat the same audio at the end).

I think that repeating the audio might be a good idea, but I'm not sure, I'll have to try it.



2. The technique and color transitions.

So, after seeing my bits of animation all together and hearing people's comments, I became a little worried.
I hope the transitions will feel natural and click together when it's all painted and cut together.

I mean, a lot of films move back and fourth between animation techniques. I just wonder how they end up looking so seamless. Well, they are made by pros (that probably has something to do with it...).
In any case, I made a chart that shows how my project is structured so far. Making lists makes me feel calm.

- sometimes I reused a frame just to show the technique is repeated.



Ok, that's it for now.
I'll post the blanket sequence next.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Daniella- what do you think about the idea of the woman's face being digital and the BG painted (as you did in other scenes?) That might tie it together better.

I think the sound design and music will also go a long way to tie the film together. It is already working, but it will help to smooth out any bumps.

You may also want to ask the faculty during your final critique about the voiceover question.

:Debbie said...

Hey Daniela,

Conceptually, I like using the digital animation to illustrate the present.

Though, just looking at your thumbnails, it's hard to say which I prefer. Maybe one or two? Dunno. Sorry, I'm no help!!!!!!!

=)
Deb

:Debbie said...

But, also the question that comes to mind that I'm having trouble articulating...

What is it about the look of digital animation that gives it a contemporary feel? Because certainly, there are lots of ways to duplicate traditional techniques digitally. Like, Painter for example. You can imitate ink, gauche, oil, charcoal, etc. But, it's digital nonetheless. So, I guess I mean to ask, are you going for something that can't be replicated using traditional means? Like vector/flash type animation? Pixel, CGI? Etc. Because, then you might really want to push that element of it.

Dunno.
Deb

Daniela said...

All these ideas are really good.

what I was thinking is just tracing and coloring digitally (it would be very obvious that it's digital)since I already have some of the animation pages.

I don't know what the painted BG and the digital face might look like - i'll try it. But maybe (I hope) the transition I have in mind will be enough.

I was thinking of using photoshop, but giving it a flash look might be better. pushing that digital non traditional element could be a good way to go. cool idea !

Thanks for commenting!!!