Thursday, July 3, 2008

Animation test #3 + some ideas

I've been thinking and thinking (and thinking). And over thinking is a pretty frustrating thing.

So what I did is rearrange the beginning (up until the line I mentioned in the previous post: "I have so many memories..."). The dissolving transitions are gone - I don't even know why I put them there in the first place actually.


This first part wobbles around (I know!) - but it will be clearer when the ink and color are in there. I just needed to see if the idea works.


When this gets to the part with the eye (very last frames) it will switch to ink (up until then - watercolor).


Oh - and there is a one word lip sync (= "right?"). there is no sound so you'll just have to trust me that it's in the right place.







Now I still haven't completely solved the problem of what to do next - that is why it has been taking so long. One thing is definite: I have to show something Jewish in the memories, otherwise it is only slightly implied (and that is not enough I think).


The memories are not good. But I also don't think this would be the place for images of soldiers or prisoners (or would it?). But it makes sense to show this person is Jewish (and the rest is left for your imagination).


Also, I think I don't want to use any symbols so I could keep it sort of universal (do you agree?).


Some images I thought could work for this:


- lighting of candles as a Jewish tradition.


- Hand knocking over a glass of wine.


- wind blowing through a window.


- figures running. - to show some sort of danger?


- Hebrew letters in a book on a table - not such a good idea maybe..


Thumbnails:







2nd option could look like this (these images could appear one after the other- first candles, last window):










I have to say I'm really not too sure about any of these options (otherwise I would just go ahead and pick one).

Do you have a different idea maybe?


By the way, I watched this excellent Israeli animated documentary film a few weeks ago. It made me think about the depiction of brutal situations - how that is sometimes a good thing in a film (because it is truthful).

Anyway, it was really powerful.

http://waltzwithbashir.com/



Ok - I'll try to come up with more ideas!









3 comments:

Carder said...

Good job, Daniela! Your animation is great. If you can keep it from wobbling so much, I think it'll look fantastic. There are only two things that bother me: the cut from the overhead shot of the hand to the 3/4 or whatever it is when she unfolds the sheets seems pretty jarring. Maybe if you cut on action more? It seems to me that you're cutting right before she starts to unfold, but maybe if you cut on the unfolding, it would be smoother.

Also, I trust that the lip synch is in the right place, but the text isn't there at that moment. Is that on purpose? Maybe it'll just make more sense with sound.

I'm not sure I think you need to hit the audience over the head with Jewish symbolism. I think it's implied pretty well already, and just a small something would do the trick without seeming too intense. I love the idea of lighting candles, and Hebrew letters in the background of a memory. Something that will subtly boost the idea.

You're doing great! If only I could get to actual animation.

Daniela said...

Cool, thanks Carder!

I'll try fixing the problems you mentioned. The wobble is so annoying (I was really not too careful with the tracing caus' I wasn't sure if the shots were gonna work.)

I think the lighting of the candles is enough. But I need to add a clue of something disturbing somehow (just a little).

I think you're doing a lot more planning that I am. Your animatic is really together. I just started animating because I'm already seeing that shots in my animatic could go in a lot of different directions. It's somewhat amorphous - so I just dived in.

If you have other good ideas, I'm really open to new ones. Still a tiny bit stuck...

Sheila said...

I completely agree with Carder regarding the jarring cut. It breaks the 180 degree rule. You could turn it into a camera move instead- or insert a shot right "on" the line between the two? (Although it cuts on action, so that wouldn't work.)

I love the idea of the candles, and I also really like the idea of people running. It could just be their feet. (Difficult, I know.) It would still be ambiguous but it allows us to fill in the blanks and yet does not hit us over the head. It could be powerful.

Great work!