Thursday, June 19, 2008

Animation test #2


This one is 17 second long. I think I want to start the animation 5 seconds into the recording (it works better with the text for some reason).



The next line of text is:"I have so many memories that sit so firmly inside my mind, so that I will never forget them." (7 - 10 seconds, and I can add a small pause - like a chapter ends).



The pencil test that I have is still really rough, but here are 2 ideas for the next batch of animation (do you think 7-10 sec is a long enough time for a new mini idea?):


1. Keep the face in the last frame and have a few (three?) memories morph from the line behind.
A memory could shown by a different environment or things that are easily recognised (like a wedding or something?).
maybe 3 seconds each? and I could transition between them like I've done until now maybe.


2. If you think this would be unclear -


I could just keep things really slow until the story starts. And when it does start, I can pick up the pace of the animation (just so it moves differently). I'm worried that this slow part would become a bit boring to watch though...

What do you think?






2 comments:

Sheila said...

Daniela-

When she speaks about memories she may also be referring to difficult, more disturbing memories. If you decide to animate them images like weddings may not match her intentions. (Or it may- it's impossible to tell, but you will be directing the audience as to what she meant by that.) You may want to either decide what her intentions are and direct the animation towards them, or perhaps you could show a collage of images that are indecipherable but indicate a variety of memories? Or your idea of showing her face, although I don't think it's as visually engaging. It would be great if you could find neutral images that could be interpreted in several ways- for instance, a certain look, or expression, characters walking away, a door closing or opening, a crowd of people moving in some direction (fun to animate!) I'm just throwing things out there, but you get the idea... I'm not sure if it would work or not. Perhaps you could thumbnail a couple of ideas?

I think the animation is beautiful, although you may want to add a few frames at the end of each action. For example- once she unfolds the sheet there should be a slight pause- once she puts down the stack, add a pause, etc. Just slight holds here and there.

You may think the animation is slow but in fact it is very fast. Since you animated every frame you can see them, but for a first-time viewer it will not feel slow.

Great work!

Daniela said...

Thank you, this is a lot to think about. I understand what you mean - I can't just put any memories in there, it may give the wrong impression.

The disturbing memories are for sure a part of what she meant. I asked someone for their opinion - and they thought it is absolutely necessary that I put visual references to Holocaust memories if I want the story to be understood and clear. Showing hints of that(they said) would not leave any doubt as to why the good experience was valuable. But I'm not sure yet - the indecipherable images may be better. Or maybe I should to avoid giving this sentence any extra visual interpretation.

I have to think about this and make thumbnails. I'll also slow down the existing animation.

Thanks again for your thoughts
- it's a great help.